The history of the Armenian higher school of Architecture and Construction started in 1921, with opening of a Technical Faculty in the newly established Yerevan State University. The new specialties taught in the faculty included the specialties of Engineering and Architecture and Engineering and Hydro-technology. In February 1927, these specialties were renamed; the first was renamed Civil Engineering and Construction of Roads and the second- Hydraulic Facilities.
In 1928, the first seven graduates of the Technical Facultyreceived qualification of architects. The Technical Department’s second graduation class of 10 engineer/architects and 22 engineer/ hydrologists graduated in 1930.
In July 1930, based on the Technical Faculty, the Armenian Construction Institute was founded, the organizer and the first director of which was a prominent architect MikayelMazmanyan. The Institute had three departments: Architecture and Construction, Hydrology, and Chemical Engineering. In 1933, only one department was left in the Institute (the Hydrology Department was liquidated and the Chemical Engineering Department became an independent institute), with 354 students and 61 teachersinvolved.
In February 1933, the Construction Institute was restructured into the Polytechnic Institute including also the Chemical Engineering Institute that existed independently by the time. Pursuant to socioeconomic development trends and requirements of the Republic, the list of the specialties in the Construction Faculty increased each year, with the number of applicants for each specialty increasing as well.
During the World War 2, postgraduate studies were organized for several specialties. In addition, the institute acquired the right to grant scientific degrees.
In September 1955, the central building of the new complex of the Polytechnic Institute designed by architect ArtashesMamijanyan was set in operation.
In 1959, within the Construction Department, 6 specialties were taught: Industrial and Civil Construction, Architecture, Hydraulic Engineering, Road Engineering, Water Supply and Sewage, Thermo-gas Supply. The Construction Department has been recognized with itsfruitful academic and research activities. Almost all industrial and construction buildings have been accomplished through the graduates of the Construction Department. In May 1974, Architecture/Construction and Engineering/Construction departments were organized on the basis of Construction Department. The Architecture/Construction Department included the specialties of Architecture, Industrial and Civil Construction, Production of Structural Units and Buildings, Construction Economics and Organization. The Engineering/Construction Department included the specialties of Hydraulic Engineering of River Structures, Thermo-Gas Supply and Ventilation, Water Supply and Sewage, Road-Transportation, Bridges and Tunnels.
To meet the demand for engineering specialists in Armenia and to make the education accessible for students residing away from Yerevan, in 1959 branches of the Yerevan Polytechnic Institute were opened in Gyumri and in Vanadzor. At the Gyumri branch, the industrial and civil engineering specialty was organized in 1960, first as correspondence study, then in1966 evening study and since 1967 as full time curriculum. The same specialty was opеned in the Vanadzor branch in 1960-61 academic years.
The Yerevan Polytechnic Institute has assisted the Republic of Dagestan, Russia in training engineering cadre. Starting from 1959, upon request from the government of Dagestan, 25Daghestanian students were admitted to the institute hors concourse and, having acquired diplomas (mainly in construction) of the Yerevan Polytechnic, returned back to their republic.
Starting from as far back as 1920-s, every year, seats for foreign Armenian young people were provided in the enrollment plans of the Technical Department. In the Department, and later at the Polytechnic Institute, a large number of Diaspora Armenians from Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Jordan, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Egypt, Ethiopia, Uruguay, Argentina, Turkey, and other countries have studied in the Institute.
Pursuant to the Decree #339 of July 11, 1989 of the Armenian SSR Council of Ministers, on the basis of the related departments and chairs of the Yerevan Polytechnic Institute, the Architectural/Construction Institute was established which was renamed as the Yerevan State University of Architecture and Construction in July 2000. The basic goal for creating a separate architectural and construction higher education institution was further improvement in preparing specialists of architecture and civil construction as well as the development of the construction industry and architecture and construction science in Armenia.
The first Rector of Yerevan State University of Architecture and Construction was Professor, Doctor of Technical Sciences Arest Beglaryan (1989-2005). Since 2006, Professor, Doctor of Technical Sciences Hovhannes Tokmajyan was the YSUAC Rector.
Since 2014 the Rector of National University of Architecture and Construction of Armenia is Professor, Doctor of Technical Sciences Gagik Galstyan.
In June, 2002, the 80th anniversary of the Yerevan State University of Architecture and Construction was celebrated, which was attended by representatives of RA universities, CIS delegates and guests from the US, Canada, France, Italy and other countries.
During the 95 years of the history, starting from the Technical Faculty of the Yerevan State University up to today’s National University of Architecture and Construction of Armenia, the university has produced around 30,000 graduates mainly with architectural and construction specialties. Most of them had a decent contribution in the architectural and construction development of the country, have become researchers, skillful organizers of design and construction activities, have been leading the development processes in this field. Starting from 1966, about 967 foreign students have acquired qualification of architects and constructors. In whatever country they work now, they uphold the honor of their university and add more recognition for it. The good reputation of theNational University of Architecture and Construction of Armenia is proven by the high places that the university’s graduates are ranked during international contests. The NUACA diploma is officially recognized by governments of a number of countries. NUACAis the only university in Armenia preparing architects and construction engineers of 20 specialties, where the best scholars of relatedfields in Armenia teach.
80 total views, 2 views today