Chair of Manufacturing Technology of Constructional Materials, Products and Structures
In 1931-32 academic year there were 10 chairs in the ASSR Construction Institute one of which was the Chair of Building Structures under the guidance of Ruben Hakobyan.
Later in September 1936 among the approved 14 chairs of Yerevan Polytechnic Institute there was the Chair of Technology of General and Constructional Materials the head of which was Davit Zavaryan.
The renowned chemist David Zavaryan (1889-1975) graduated from St. Petersburg University and was a student of D. Mendeleev. He displayed a great initiative in establishing higher education institution in Armenia.
- In December 1920 he was a lecturer in Yerevan State University.
- In January 1921 he was elected as a dean of Faculty of Natural Sciences and in October 1921 – as a dean of Engineering Faculty, replacing also the head (rector) of university Hakob Manandyan (up to February 1922). For many years he read lectures in Yerevan Polytechnic Institute. Also, he was a member of the first Scientific and Technical Council of Institute (1937).
- In February 1938 14 chairs were established and heads were appointed: the chair of Constructional Materials Technology was headed by Arsen Manandyan up to 1939 and by Khoren Gevorgyan from 1940 to 1953.
- In 1967 the chair of Silicates Technology and Construction Materials was split into two parts: chair of manufacturing building structures and construction materials and chair of silicates and electrochemical production technology. The latter was headed by the candidate of technical sciences, associate professor Onik Martirosyan (1911-1993).
- In 1968-75 candidate of technical sciences, associate professor Gurgen Karamyan was appointed as a head of restructured chair of construction materials, footings and foundations. He was the author of 30 published scientific works, including ‘Footings and Foundations’ Armenian textbook.
- In 1972 ‘Construction Materials’ subject was taken from the chair of construction materials, footings and foundations and given to the chair of silicates and electrochemical production technology.
- In 1973-86 chair of Silicates Technology and Construction Materials was headed by Doctor of Technical Sciences, professor Lev Zakharov (1910-1991). During his leadership a wide resource-and-technical base was created in the chair due to which a number of contract scientific and research works were carried out. The chair had a room with the literature necessary for organizing the educational and research processes and was furnished with laboratory equipment. In the meantime, the frames of chair work cooperation were enlarged.
- Teaching staff took part in all-Union and republican symposiums and with practical activities contributed to the growing reputation of Institute in the field of technical sciences. Professor Lev Zakharov had a great role especially in staff selection and involvement of promising scientists in educational process.
- In 1989 in connection with formation of Yerevan Architecture and Construction Institute the teaching and laboratory staff of construction materials was separated from the chair of silicates technology and a new chair was created – Chair of Construction Materials and Chemistry – which was headed by Nikolay Chilingaryan from 1990 to 1997.
- In 1995 the chair was renamed as Manufacturing Technology of Construction Materials, Products and Structures. The lecturers of chair has developed a number of programs, methodical instructions and tasks for term papers, graduation work, laboratory work and for conducting production practical training.
- From 1997 the chair was headed by Doctor of Technical Sciences (1992), Professor (2001), Academician of International Academy of Engineering Martin Badalyan (born in 1935).
- In 1952 he graduated from Moscow Construction Engineering Institute. For about 40 years he headed a number of enterprises of construction materials industry and building sector, as well as scientific-research and research-production organizations.
- In 1969 he concurrently taught in Yerevan Polytechnic Institute.
- In 1997 he was elected as a head of chair of Construction Materials and Chemistry of Architecture and Construction Institute. He was a scientific adviser and consultant of a number of candidate theses. Scientific topics under his guidance were included in the targeted programs of the USSR Academy of Sciences and the USSR State Committee of Science and Technology. He is the author of more than 150 scientific works, including 25 inventions certified by the USSR copyright certificates. He is a member of a large number of scientific, production and expert councils. He performed an important job for recruiting the chair with promising team. He was awarded with Anania Shirakatci Medal (2002).
- From 2002 the chair is headed by Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor, Academician of International Academy of Sciences of Ecology and Life Support Safety, Associate Member of Engineering Academy of Armenia Petros Ter-Petrosyan. He has more than 100 scientific publications, including 7 books, 7 inventions. He took part in the construction works of Slavutich city constructed for the employees of Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant for which he was awarded with ‘For Service’ Medal of Ukraine (1997). He is considered to be an honorable professor of Association of CIC Construction Universities (2002).