Architectural professional education in Armenia goes back to 1921.
In 1933 with the establishment of the Polytechnic Institute, with the formation of the Department of Architecture at the Faculty of Construction, and in 1936, with the efforts of the prominent architect Nikoghayos Buniatyan, the Professional Chair of Architecture was established, headed by him until 1938. Afterwards, until 1944, the Chair was headed by Harutyun Zakyan.
Tirayr Arshavir Shavarshyan, Robert Suren Avetisyan, Armen Freyduni Aghalyan were Deans of the Faculty of Architecture in different years.
According to the RA Government Decree dated July 11, 1989 the Faculties of Architecture and Construction were separated, turning into Yerevan Institute of Architecture and Construction.
On July 7, 2000, by the RA Government Decree, Yerevan Institute of Architecture and Construction was renamed Yerevan State University of Architecture and Construction, and in January 2014, the University was renamed National University of Architecture and Construction of Armenia.
Since its establishment, the Faculty Deans have been:
1989-1992, Ashot Kanayan, Professor at the Chair of Urban Planning;
1993-1999, Narek Sargsyan, Professor at the Chair of Architectural Design and Design of Architectural Environment;
2000-2003, Samvel Danielyan, Associate Professor at the Chair of Architectural Design and Design of Architectural Environment;
2003-2013, Tigran Barseghyan, Professor at the Chair of Architectural Design and Design of Architectural Environment;
2013-2020, Sargis Tovmasyan, Doctor of Architecture at the Chair of Urban Planning;
From 2020 to present Armen Shatvoryan, Associate Professor at the Chair of Architectural Design and Design of Architectural Environment.
The Faculty consists of five chairs, out of which the below presented chairs are specialty-issuing:
- Chair of Theory of Architecture, Restoration and Reconstruction of Historical-Architectural Heritage, Fine Arts and History (Heads of the Chair were Varazdat Martiros Harutyunyan (1945-1990), Arshavir Khoren Toramanyan (1991-1993), Yuri Ashot Safaryan (1994- 2014)).
- Chair of Architectural Design and Design of Architectural Environment (Heads of the Chair were Yan Isahakyan (1991-1997), Honorary Architect of the Republic of Armenia, Professor Garry Hayk Rashidyan (1997-2015))
- Chair of Urban Planning (Heads of the Chair were Artsvin Hayk Grigoryan (1992-2008), Sirekan Boris Ohanyan (2009-2015)).
Chairs not issuing specialty:
8 Doctors, 37 Professors, 47 Associate Professors and 36 PhDs of the field carry out their professional activities at the Faculty of Architecture.
The Faculty of Architecture prepares specialists with a qualification of an architect.
The mission of the Faculty in a tertiary education system is the preparation of specialists, the implementation of scientific-research activities, the provision of continuing education and the provision of services promoting architectural education in accordance with international standards and the requirements of the internal and external labor market.
From 1996 to the present, the diploma of the Faculty of Architecture has been recognized by a special commission of the French Government as equivalent to their diploma.
The Faculty of Architecture maintains and develops its traditional ties both with the former Soviet Union countries, and European architectural schools (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Poland, etc.) as well as China, Iran and other countries. Within the framework of cooperation, the students of the Faculty participate in international reviews, seminars, student internships, always achieving high results.