The history of the Chair derives from the very first years of Yerevan State University’s activities. Professor Hovhannes Navakatikyan (1921-1952) had his incredible role in the establishment of the Chair of Physics. Respectively the heads of Chair of Physics at the Yerevan Polytechnic Institute were doctor of physics and mathematical sciences, professor, corresponding member and respectable scientist Norair Qocharyan, then Harutyun Atoyan, physicist, candidate of chemical sciences and docent Suren Zurabyan, physicists Ashot Gabrielyan, Sergey Baghdasaryan and Arshak Mnatsakanyan in the periods between 1939 and 1945.
Soon the joint Chair of Physics and Electric Engineering was established at the newly created University of Architecture and Construction aimed at optimal organization of the educational process by teaching both modules and enhancing the material and technical database of the Chair. The first head of Chair has been the doctor of technical sciences, professor Vladimir Abrahamyan since 1985. Since 1995 the head of Chair is doctor of physics and mathematical sciences, professor Armen Karapetyan who is the author of more than 125 scientific articles, methodical manuals as well as the member of Panarmenian Union of biophysicists and Scientific Councils 051 acting at Yerevan State University.
Currently the issues of raising the teaching level of physics and electric engineering, enhancing the laboratory base and preparing specialists of science are highly accentuated at the Chair. Research at Chair is aimed at practical and theoretical activities studying structural transformations of crystals as well as thermodynamic investigations of polymer-ligand complexes. The Chair is closely tied to both local and overseas research centres. The Chair has already published 225 scientific works as well as methodical manuals, questionnaires and explanation guidebooks for laboratory works in the subjects of physics and power supply for both full-time and part-time students.