Hydraulics subject in construction specialties was taught since 1922 in Yerevan State University. In 1922-1930 there was no chair of Hydraulics; the activities of the chairs were focused on special commissions. In 1936 chair of Hydraulics was established in Yerevan Polytechnic Institute. The first head of chair was Zebet Khojanetyan (1936-1938). In 1938 the chair was renamed as the chair of Hydraulics and Hydrology the first head of which was Martin Margarov. From 1955 to 1979 the chair was headed by Vagharshak Hovsepyan, from 1979 to 1984 by Vache Tokmajyan, from 1984 to 2006 by Arkadi Barkhudaryan and from 2006 to present by Albert Margaryan. In 1957 the chair of Water Supply and Drainage was separated from the chair of Hydraulics and Hydrology and it was again renamed as the chair of Hydraulics. In 2012 the chair of Hydraulics joined the chair of Heat and Gas Supply and Ventilation and was renamed as the chair of Hydraulics, Heat and Gas Supply and Ventilation. In 2015 the chair of Hydraulics was separated as a new unit.